Sourced by kind permission of Derek Leach from his book ‘Streets of Dover’
Salisbury Road runs from Godwyne Road to Frith Road. Lord Salisbury was Prime Minister three times between 1885 and 1902 and was installed as Lord Warden in 1896. When Dover Castle Estate was laid out by Sir William Crundall this road was named after him. It dates from 1884.
Samson’s (or Sampson’s) Lane is mentioned in Paving Commissioners’ minutes 1780. Named after a Captain Samson, it later also became known as Fifteen Post Lane.
Saxon Street is off Effingham Street. A companion street to adjacent Norman Street, it was built in 1846.
Selborne Terrace, Clarendon Road. Part of Sir William Crundall’s Clarendon Road, he named it after Roundell Palmer QC, Lord Chancellor, who was created Baron Selborne in 1872 when this road was laid out.
Selkirk Road is off Ottawa Crescent, Buckland Estate. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate, where most of the streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Seven Star Street ran from Council House Street to the King’s Head public house. One of the earliest Pier streets existing by 1737, a public house of the same name was in the street, but there is a story told that a group of Channel pilots, who lived at one end, suggested calling it Pleiades Street after the group of seven stars familiar to all seamen. Fishermen living at the other end of the street, no doubt thought that this was a bit of a mouthful and decided to call it Seven Star Street. Bavington Jones states that it was previously Fishermen’s Row and even earlier Assher Strete. It was demolished during the 1930s as part of a slum clearance programme.
Shakespeare Road is off Folkestone Road. This steep road had no name until the beginning of the 20th century. Churchill Road, named after the poet and containing Shakespeare Villas was close by as were Milton Villas. Shakespeare was an obvious choice with Shakespeare Cliff close by.
Sheridan Road is off The Linces, Buckland Estate. Several roads on the Buckland Estate completed in the late 1940s were named after British poets or dramatists.
Ship Lane beside the Ship Hotel ran from Custom House Quay to Strond Street and is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ Minutes 1822.
Shipman’s Way is off Knight’s Way, Buckland Estate. All the roads in the Buckland Estate built before the Second World War take their names from characters in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales.
Shooter’s Hill runs from Chapel Hill to George Street. Could the same builder from SE London, who named nearby Erith Street, also have built this road and named it after the more well known Shooter’s Hill? It dates from 1835, but all the houses are now post Second World War.
Shrubbery Cottages are between Dodd’s Lane and Mangers Place. The cottages probably took their name from R.V.Coleman’s house nearby, which was built originally in the 18th century, but rebuilt by Mr. Coleman in 1923. Council houses were built in 1925.
Slip Passage ran from Cambridge Road to Northampton Street. This passage led to the slipway built in 1850 in Wellington Dock where ships were repaired. The slipway was rebuilt in 1952 in a revised position by the Harbour Board, it was closed in 1970 and is now under the De Bradelei Wharf car park.
Snargate over the Sluice is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ Minutes 1806. See Union Street.
Snargate Street ran from New Bridge, but now starts at the York Street roundabout to Limekiln Street. Mary Horsley’s explanation for the name is that it was named after Snar Gate built as part of the town walls in 1370 when the Snar Gate ward of the town already existed. The name may have originated from a snare in the river to trap rubbish before it blocked the river mouth. As the sea receded from the foot of the cliffs the street was extended. The lower part was not developed until after 1606. The seaward side of the street was demolished in 1928/30 for widening and widened again in 1950, 1972 and in 1991 as part of the A20.
South Military Road is off Archcliffe Road (A20). It was built once the 1860s military fortifications on the Western Heights were completed.
South Pier is one of the pierheads of the old harbour. There were many houses listed on South Pier in the 1841 census, but they were demolished to make way for the railway in 1844.
South Road is off Tower Hamlets Road. It was built in 1865. The Dover Working Men’s Institute built the first eight cottages in 1862 as part of an attempt to improve working men’s living conditions. See Tower Hamlets Road
Spencer Road was a path from The Linces to Chaucer Crescent, Buckland Estate. Several roads on the Buckland Estate completed in the late 1940s were named after British poets or dramatists.
Spinners Alley was off Biggin Street.
Spring Gardens was off Peter Street. Built in 1830, the name comes from a chalybeate spring yielding similar water to that found in Ladywell. It was demolished in 1959 to allow Dover Engineering Works to expand.
Spring Place ran from Oxenden Street to Strond Lane. It was laid out on the old Paradise Pent in the Pier District on the site of a spring.
Springfield Road is off Barton Road. The name is mentioned in 1901 council minutes. Adopted in1902 it was probably named after one of the four Springfields in Britain, unless there were water springs on the site!
Squire’s Way is off Weaver’s Way, Buckland Estate. All the streets in the Buckland Estate built before the Second World War take their names from characters in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, and this road, although built in 1948, continued the theme.
St. Alphege Road. St. Alphege became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1006.When Canterbury was sacked by the Danes in 1011 he refused to pay a ransom and was murdered. The road was adopted in 1903, but was constructed earlier probably to serve the new Charlton Church built in the 1890s.
St. Andrews Gardens are off Bunker’s Hill. It was built in 1981 on land formerly part of St. Andrew’s vicarage.
St. Andrews Terrace. The name originally applied to the whole of what is now Crabble Avenue, but now only applies to the main terrace of houses. See Crabble Avenue.
St. Bartholomew’s Close was built in a chalk pit in 2000 off Tower Street close to the site of St. Bartholomew’s Church demolished in 1974.
St. Catharine’s Place ran from Bridge Street to Brook Street. This saint was an early Christian martyr who gave her name to the Catherine Wheel because she was tortured on a spike wheel before execution. The street was laid out on the site of the old St. Mary’s Poor House, which was built in 1795 and closed in 1836 when the new workhouse opened in Buckland Bottom. Comprising just seven dwellings and the Wheelwrights’ Arms it was demolished in 1959 to allow Dover Engineering Works to expand.
St. David’s Avenue is off Old Folkestone Road. The Corporation decided to use the names of the patron saints of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland for roads on the post Second World War Aycliffe estate.
St. Edmund’s Walk runs from Biggin Street to Priory Road. This alley was constructed alongside the 13th century chapel when it was exposed by redevelopment and restored in 1968. It was probably a cemetery chapel of the Maison Dieu.
St. George’s Crescent is off St. David’s Avenue. The Corporation decided to use the names of the patron saints of England, Scotland,Wales and Ireland for roads on the post Second World War Aycliffe estate.
St. Giles’ Close is off St. Giles Road. See St. Giles’ Road.
St. Giles’ Road is off Old Folkestone Road. The Corporation decided to use the names of the patron saints of England, Scotland,Wales and Ireland for roads on the post Second World War Aycliffe estate. This road should have been St. Andrews, but, to avoid confusion with St. Andrews Terrace, it was called after St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh.
St. James Lane ran from the old Townwall Street to Dolphin Lane. In St. James’s parish, it existed in 1641, but suffered bomb damage and all its buildings were demolished after the Second World War. Now it exists only as a service road off Russell Street.
St. James Passage ran from St. James Street to Townwall Street. It suffered bomb damage and was demolished after the Second World War. See St. James Street.
St. James Place ran from St. James Street to Dolphin Lane. It suffered bomb damage and was demolished after the Second World War. See St. James Street.
St. James Street currently (2009) runs only from Russell Street car park across Woolcomber Street to Castle Hill Road. Originally leading to (old) St. James’s Church from the Market Square, it was built before 1291 and had this name from at least the mid 16th century. Before that it may have been called Broad Street. It was the route taken by the stage coaches to Deal before Castle Street was built and was a fashionable part of Dover with some prestigious shops and business houses, some of which were very old. It was widened in 1896. Run down between the wars, it was badly damaged during the Second World War and, except for three surviving properties at the Woolcomber Street end, it was closed in 1958. The area was converted into a large car park in the 1980s and now awaits redevelopment.
St. John’s Place was off Snargate Street. The name could have derived from an ancient Dover parish, which had an altar in old St. Martin Le Grand Church; alternatively, it could be connected with the Order of St. John of Jerusalem and the ruins of a Knights Templar chapel on the Western Heights. Probably, however, it was named after St. John’s Mariners Church in the Pier District. It was demolished in 1938 as part of a slum clearance programme.
St. John’s Road off Folkestone Road. Built about 1879 on land belonging to Lord Beaumont, a Knight of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, it was intended to continue the road behind Folkestone Road, but the land was acquired for an ordnance store by the government. It was adopted in 1900.
St. John’s Street is mentioned in Paving Commissioners’ minutes 1781 and was almost certainly named after St. John’s Mariners’ Church in the Pier District
St. Katherines Place was off Bridge Street on an 1850 map and was probably St. Catharine’s Place.
St. Lawrence Way, Buckland Estate. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the paths and streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War. This path was closed for redevelopment in 1985.
St. Margaret’s Place was off St. James’s Street. It existed by 1851 and was built in the stone yard of Mr. Youden, a builder, who was also schoolmaster at St. Margaret’s. He gave this row of neat cottages the name of the village.
St. Martin’s Close is off St. Giles’ Road. Having used the names of patron saints for roads on the post Second World War Aycliffe Estate, the patron saint of Dover was added.
St. Martin’s Hill. Built near the remains of St. Martin’s Priory, this stretch of Folkestone Road between Priory Road and Priory Gate Road was developed in 1843.
St. Martin’s Place. Built near the remains of St. Martin’s Priory by 1851, it is the stretch of Priory Road between Effingham Crescent and Norman Street.
St. Martin’s Terrace, High Street. Built in 1844 near the remains of St. Martin’s Priory, it is the terrace of houses (now shops) in the High Street facing the Maison Dieu.
St. Mary’s Passage runs from Cannon Street to Church Street. Running beside St. Mary’s Church, no explanation for the name is necessary for this old passage.
St. Patrick’s Road is off Old Folkestone Road. The Corporation decided to use the names of the patron saints of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland for roads on the post Second World War Aycliffe estate.
St. Radigund’s Road is off London Road, Buckland. Prior to 1865 the lower part of the present road was called Butcher’s Lane. It leads to St. Radigund’s Abbey, which was built in 1191 and became a farm following the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Radegund (520-587) was a princess forced to marry Clotaine, who already had four wives. Following the murder of her brother by Clotaine, she fled and founded a nunnery.
St. Radigund’s Walk is off Bunkers Hill Avenue. It was built in 1997. See St. Radigund’s Road.
St. Richard’s Walk runs from Old Folkestone Road to St. David’s Avenue. The Corporation used the names of saints for roads and paths built on the post Second World War Aycliffe Estate.
Stanhope Road is off Barton Road. It was part of William Crundall’s Barton Estate laid out 1890-1900. Stanhope is a well known Kentish name and the earldom of Stanhope was created in 1718. Captain R. H. Stanhope RN was MP for Dover in 1831. The road was adopted in 1939.
Station Approach provides access to Dover Priory Station off Folkestone Road and was presumably built in 1861 when the station was built.
Stembrook is off Castle Street. It ran originally from Church Place to Castle Street. A large mill at the entrance to this road stemmed the brook, as the river was often called, for many years. However, Stembrook apparently predates the 1790 mill. Before the creation of Castle Street, 1830-1835, and the bridging of the river, carriages crossed the river by way of a ford, which may have ‘stemmed’ the river. It was in this area in medieval times that the river divided into the East and West brooks. Approved for slum clearance before the Second World War, its houses were demolished afterwards. The road was reconstructed 1950/51 from Castle Street to Stembrook car park.
Stembrook Place was off Stembrook. See Stembrook.
Stone’s Passage was off 76 High Street.
Strond Lane ran from Oxenden Street to Elizabeth Street. It was one of the streets developed after 1800 on the site of the original Paradise harbour. It was demolished in 1913 as part of a slum clearance programme.
Strond Street faced the Granville Dock. It is shown as Strande on early maps, meaning beach, dating back to when the sea washed the foot of the cliffs. The line of the street was a channel carrying water from the Great Pent to the harbour entrance to help keep the harbour mouth clear of shingle. The street was certainly built by 1737 but part of the street was demolished in 1860/61 to make way for the railway line. It was taken over by the Harbour Board, closed to the public in 1966 and its buildings demolished to provide more cargo space on Custom House Quay.
Suffolk Gardens are off Elms Park Gardens. Adopted in 1965, the developer must have had a soft spot for this county.
Sweeps Alley appears in a Joe Harman list of Dover streets and may be Sweeps Lane.
Sweeps Lane is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ minutes 1832 and apparently crossed Fector’s Place according to Bavington Jones.
Taswell Close is off Taswell Street and was built in 1972. See Taswell Street for its name.
Taswell Street is off Maison Dieu Road. It was built on part of the old Maison Dieu Fields, belonging to Captain Taswell and was laid out in 1862.
Tavenor’s Gardens were off Market Lane. In 1642 Samuel Tavenor, grocer, occupied the premises in Market Lane later occupied by Sir Richard Dickeson. Samuel built a small Baptist chapel on one end of his house where he held services and preached. His ground adjoining was used as a burial ground for himself and his congregation. This chapel continued in use until the new chapel was built in Adrian Street in 1820 – now the Unitarian Church. Terry Sutton’s explanation is that Captain Samuel Taverner (spelling seems to vary), a captain of the troop under Cromwell, acquired land here, which had formerly belonged to St.Martin Le Grand, and built his house. Converted by the Baptists, he was imprisoned in the castle for his faith, but when released in 1692 obtained approval for his house to be used as a meeting house for the Baptists. Although he died in 1696, the Baptists continued to meet in the house until 1745.
Tavenor’s Lane. See Tavenor’s Gardens.
Templar Street is off London Road. Hubert de Burgh was a member of the Order of Knights Templar that built a church on the Western Heights. Templar Street was built soon after 1863.
Tennessee Vale was on the Buckland Estate. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Texas Way was off Roosevelt Road, Buckland Estate. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War. It was demolished in 1965 for redevelopment.
The Butchery was at the bottom of St John Street and is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ Minutes 1788
The Plain see Beach Street.
Thomas’s Lane is mentioned in the Paving Commissionerrs’ minutes 1780. Thornton’s Lane was off Townwall Street. Providing rear access to some of the premises in Bench Street, in the 19th century it only contained a shop or two and a few cottages. It was originally called Town Wall Lane. Why the name was changed is a mystery, but Terry Sutton suggests that it was possibly named after the first regular minister of St. Mary’s Church appointed in 1549, Revd. Monge Thorton.
Tilley’s Lane is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ Minutes 1786.
Tinker’s Close. On the sloping ground between the present Laureston Place and Ashen Tree Lane a market was held for centuries to supply the castle garrison. Pedlars and tinkers who frequented the market gave the area its name long after the market ended.
Toronto Close is off Green Lane, Buckland Estate. It is part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Toronto Way was off Melbourne Avenue, Buckland Estate. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War. It was closed in 1985 for redevelopment.
Tower Hamlets Road runs from High Street/London Road to Astor Avenue. The area was formerly known as Charlton Bottom and in 1800 contained only a few shepherds’ huts. A few brickmakers’ cottages followed with one or two shops and four beerhouses. The area was called Tower Hamlets by Steriker Finnis, the owner of brickfields there who built a tower on Priory Hill to supply water – a strange name for somewhere with no buildings compared with the East London thickly populated area. The tower still stands as part of a house. It is also suggested, by Joyce Banks, that the area was so named because every Easter for ten days the Tower Hamlets Volunteers were billeted in St. Bartholomew’s School for local exercises; however, the school was not built until 1880 long after the area was named. The road was formerly Black Horse Lane, named after the inn on the corner of London Road, but became Tower Hamlets Road in 1866 after the bridge over the new railway line was built. Most of the area was developed between 1846 and 1896.
Tower Hamlets Street runs from West Street to South Road. The Dew Drop Inn , which is a former Masons lodge and 300 year old naval military Pub, was originally a naval pub called the British Tar. This building was here before any of the houses were built. This Tower `hamlets street pub landmark supersedes anything else in the Tower Hamlets Area, including the houses built 1860’s in `tower hamlets and the train line! as the most important historic Tower Hamlets landmark. Now called the Dew Drop Inn.
Tower Hill runs from South to North Road. See Tower Hamlets Road.
Tower Street runs from Tower Hamlets Road to South Road. See Tower Hamlets Road.
Townwall Lane ran from Fishmongers Lane to Townwall Street according to an 1850 map, but an 1872 Ordnance Survey map shows it running from Townwall Street to Woolcomber Street! However, it does not appear in Dover directories, presumably because it contained no residences.
Townwall Passage ran from Townwall Street to St. James’s Street and was demolished after the Second World War.
Townwall Street now runs from York Street roundabout to Douro Place. The old Townwall Street may have followed fairly closely the line of the old town walls, which were on the sea side of the street from Snargate Street to Woolcomber Street. The corporation named this ancient street in 1799, but the walls were pulled down in 1818 with no trace left above ground when houses were built. Some of the material was used to build Kearsney Abbey in 1821. Starting originally from Bench Street, the upper part of the street, known as Townwall Lane, changed its name to Clarence Street when Clarence House was built (named after the Duke of Clarence). Thomas Pattenden, the Dover diarist, lived at No.1 Townwall Street which was built in 1779. John Shipdem’s Round House was also built in this street, which was realigned and made a dual carriageway in the 1960s and widened in 1992 as part of the A20.
Trafalgar Passage (or Steps) run from Priory Hill to Tower Hamlets.The name must commemorate the Battle of Trafalgar of 1805.
Trafalgar Place was at the foot of Priory Hill. This was a row of cottages commemorating the Battle of Trafalgar.
Trevanion Lane ran from Woolcomber Street to Trevanion Street, but was closed in 1959. See Trevanion Street.
Trevanion Place was off off Trevanion Street. See Trevanion Street.
Trevanion Street ran from St. James’s Street to Liverpool Street and dates from at least 1782. John Trevanion was not a Dovorian, but lived here many years, became a Freeman and was MP for Dover from 1774 until 1803. He died in 1810. His town house, Trevanion House, was in this area. For 50 years he maintained at his own expense a school for 50 poor boys in Council House Street. The street was closed in 1959 for redevelopment.
Turn-againe-lane see New Street.
Turnpike Lane see Dolphin Lane.
Turnstile Alley is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ Minutes 1786.
Two Brewers Lane in the Pier District was there in 1832, named after a pub of the same name.
Underdown Road runs from Folkestone Road to Longfield Road. Thomas Underdown was mayor in 1731 and 1733. Vincent Underdown was mayor in 1743 and 1745. The road, therefore, may have been named after the family. A simpler explanation is that the road lies under the downs. The road was adopted in two parts in 1898 and 1901.
Union Road ran from London Road to Dover Union Workhouse. So named in 1865, it led to the Union or Workhouse opened in 1836. It was renamed Coombe Valley Road in 1964.
Union Row joined Military Road and Bowling Green Hill. Built around 1830, it was demolished as part of the slum clearance programme after the Second World War.
Union Street ran from Strond Street to the sea front, but now from the A20 to the sea front. Thomas Digges’ great dam built in 1583 to form the Pent was built upon during the 17th century and was called originally ‘Snargate Street over the sluice’. The name was changed by 1792 when the Union Hotel was built on its NW Corner. During the 18th and 19th centuries it was an important street and included Latham’s bank and warehouses, the York Hotel, the Dover Castle Hotel and the Cumberland Inn. The Amherst Battery was in the NE corner until it was removed in 1844 as part of harbour enlargement. Arnold Braems, who farmed the harbour revenues in Charles I’s time, had warehouses here, used later by Isaac Minet. By 1906 only one warehouse was left. A swing bridge was opened in 1846 by the Duke of Wellington to allow ships to access the new Wellington Dock built in the old Pent and a branch railway line on to the Prince of Wales Pier was laid through the street in 1902 for the convenience of transatlantic liner passengers.
Upper Road runs from the Deal Road to the Guston boundary. This was Old St. Margaret’s Road.
Vale View Road is off Elms Vale Road. No doubt a magnificent view was afforded from the top of this road before Elms Vale was built up. It was adopted in two parts in 1896 and 1903.
Vancouver Road is off Melbourne Avenue, Buckland Estate. It is part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Viaduct (The) runs from Limekiln Street to Beach Street. The original viaduct was opened in 1923 and was built to provide easier access to the Western Docks. It was replaced in about 1980.
Victoria Cottages is off 19 High Street. It contains just three small cottages and, when built, was named after the young queen.
Victoria Crescent faces the former Royal Victoria Hospital in High Street and was built in 1838 opposite his grand house by papermaker W. Dickenson shortly after Queen Victoria came to the throne.
Victoria Park is off Castle Hill. This imposing terrace was laid out in 1864 on land formerly known as Stringer’s Field.
Victoria Row was off 16 High Street. Containing 14 dwellings, it went all the way from High Street to the river and, when built, was named after the young queen. On the 1851 map it is called Victoria Passage.
Victoria Street runs from Erith Street to Coombe Valley Road and was built in the second half of the 19th century and named after Queen Victoria.
Virginia Walk was from Boston Rise to Georgia Way, Buckland Estate. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets and paths were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War. This path was demolished for redevelopment in 1965.
Walkers Court was off Finnis’s Hill and was demolished in the 1930s.
Walkers Lane is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ minutes 1783 and may be Walker’s Court.
Wall Passage was an old narrow lane running from St. James Street to Townwall Street, named after the proximity to the town wall or possibly because its cottages were built from the town walls’ stone!
Walton’s Lane. Samuel Walton, mayor in 1715, established a timber yard above Paradise Harbour, which was later owned by Robert Finnis and the lane became known as Finnis’s Hill.
Walton’s Row was a lane leading into Crane Street and is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ minutes 1781 and may be Walton’s Lane – see above.
Washington Close is off Roosevelt Road. It is part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets and paths were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Washington Way was off Roosevelt Road. It was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets and paths were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War. It disappeared in redevelopment later in the 20th century.
Water Lane connected Elizabeth Street with the old Harbour Station. This little lane was often flooded by harbour water. Water from a fresh water spring was once channelled along the line of this lane and emptied into the tidal dock at the Crosswall.
Waterloo Crescent is on the sea front. Built in 1834 by the Harbour Board on a shingle bank used as ropewalks by a man named Jell, it was named after the famous battle, bearing in mind that the victor, the Duke of Wellington, was Lord Warden and Chairman of the Harbour Board at the time.
Weaver’s Way is off Friar’s Way. All the streets in the Buckland Estate built before the Second World War take their names from characters in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, and this road, although built just after the Second World War, continued the theme.
Wellesley Terrace and Road runs from Townwall Street to Marine Parade. The Duke of Wellington’s name was Arthur Wellesley. The terrace, later named Wellesley Road in 1879, was built in 1846 whilst the Duke was Lord Warden and Chairman of the Harbour Board. The terrace was converted into the Grand Hotel in the 1890s and, following war damage, was demolished in 1949. The site is now occupied by The Gateway.
Wellington Gardens. These old people’s homes off Sheridan Road are named after the city in New Zealand rather than the Duke of Wellington. It is part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets and paths were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Wellington Lane was an alley that ran from Snargate Street to Northampton Street named after the Duke of Wellington. Wellington Passage may have been one and the same.
Wellington Passage joined Snargate and Northampton Streets. The Wellington Inn was on a corner. Yet another reminder of the famous Duke of Wellington and his connection with Dover.
Wellington Place is yet another tribute to the Duke of Wellington. It faced Liverpool Terrace.
West Street runs from Tower Street to Tower Hamlets Street and was built in 1865. See Tower Hamlets Road
Westbury Crescent is off Belgrave Road. Built after the Second World War, it took its name from close by Westbury Road.
Westbury Road is off Belgrave Road. The building plots were sold in 1896 and the road was built in 1899. There is a Westbury in Wiltshire, but any connection with Dover is not known.
Western Close is off Citadel Road, Western Heights. Taking its name from the Western Heights where it is situated, it is one of several roads built in the 1950s to provide houses for Borstal Institution officers.
Whinless Road is off Coombe Valley Road. This cul de sac, built between the two world wars, takes its name from Whinless Down. Whin is an old name for gorse.
Whitfield Avenue runs from the Buckland Bridge junction. This road, built upon around 1900, soon becomes Green Lane, leading to Whitfield.
Widred Road is a continuation of East Street, Tower Hamlets. Widred was a king of Kent and was responsible for the building of the original St. Martin’s Church in 691, which was rebuilt by the Normans. He also strengthened the town’s walls and gates of that time. This road was built in 1865. See Tower Hamlets Road.
Wilbraham Place. Described in the 1841 census as ‘next to Bench Street’, it also appears on the 1835 Pier Ward list. Nothing else is known.
Willow Walk ran from Buckland Avenue to Brookfield Place. This was a pleasant path, with willows no doubt, that went down to the river’s edge behind the houses on the north side of Alfred Road.
Winant Way runs from Green Lane to Old Park Hill. John Winant was US ambassador to Britain during the Second World War and his wife visited Dover in 1942. The road was built as part of the post Second World War Buckland Estate.
Winchelsea Road is off Folkestone Road. Built by Mr Parker Ayers in 1866, the estate’s streets were named after George Finch, Lord Winchelsea, who was Lord Warden during Charles II’s reign. It was not so named until 1879.
Winchelsea Street is off Folkestone Road. See Winchelsea Road.
Winchelsea Terrace is off Folkestone Road. See Winchelsea Road.
Winders Row was a row of flint cottages off London Road, Buckland opposite Buckland School.
Winnipeg Close is off Winnipeg Road. Built in 1982 as part of the redevelopment of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the roads were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Winnipeg Road is off Melbourne Avenue. Built as part of the redevelopment of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the roads were named after towns or locations in the Commonwealth or the United States, emphasising the role that they played during the War.
Winnipeg Way was part of the post Second World War Buckland Housing Estate where most of the streets and paths were This path was closed in 1985 for redevelopment.
Wood Street is off High Street and was built on part of Wood’s Meadow around 1859.
Wood’s Place is off Oswald Road and was built at about the same time as Oswald Road ie 1871. The Wood family were landowners in the Buckland and Crabble area in the 18th century. William Wood’s home at Crabble Corner was the only residence in Crabble Meadows at that time.
Woolcomber Lane ran from Woolcomber Street to Trevanion Street and was closed in 1959 for redevelopment. See Woolcomber Street.
Woolcomber Street originally ran from St. James Street to Liverpool Street but now ends at Townwall Street. The street was built on land formed since 1500, but before houses were built – some existed by 1638 – the lower end comprised saltpans. The early properties were occupied by woolcombers and the lane may have previously been known as Blaise Lane, St. Blaise being the patron saint of woolcombers. It was widened in 1855 and 1894. Exhibition Place was built there in 1851 commemorating the Great Exhibition. Its houses were approved for demolition or improvement in 1937 and after the Second World War only two buildings were left standing.
Worthington Lane and Street runs from Biggin Street to York Street. Known as Gardiner’s Lane in 1625, it became Worthington Lane from at least 1786 until it was widened in 1895 by demolishing the south side and then became Worthington Street. The Worthington family occupied premises here at one time as well as owning the Ship Inn on Custom House Quay and wine vaults in Snargate Street. A member of the family was a Royal Navy lieutenant who devised plans for improving the harbour in the 1830s. Members of the family were buried in St. Mary’s, Buckland and Old St. James’ churchyards.
Wycherley Crescent runs from Milton Road to The Linces, Buckland Estate. William Wycherley (1640-1715) was another English dramatist commemorated on that part of the Buckland Estate built soon after the Second World War.
Wyndham Road is off South Road. Built in 1896 by William Crundall, it was named after the Dover MP and government minister, George Wyndham.
Yeame’s Lane was in The Pier and is mentioned in the Paving Commissioners’ minutes 1783.
York Place was off Chapel Hill. Built at about the same time as Chapel Hill, it is not known whether it was named after a royal duke or the city of York.
York Street is now the modern dual carriageway from the Townwall Street/Snargate Street roundabout to Folkestone Road roundabout but ran originally from Market Street to Military Road. The original York Street area was known as Black Ditch due to the dirty ditch running at the foot of the Western Heights. The street was called Priory Lane in 1540, being the route from Biggin Gate to the Priory. Many think the street was renamed after the Yorke family. Philip Yorke (1690-1764) was Town Clerk and Recorder of Dover, became Lord Chancellor and was created Earl of Hardwicke. However, the street apparently contained a row of cottages named York Terrace long before the name was adopted for the street; it is also possible, therefore, that the name derives from the Duke of York, brother of Charles II who was made Lord Warden in 1668 and who later became James II.
Youden’s Court is named after the builder and mason who had his yard in St. James’s Street. It existed in 1851 but was demolished during the 1930s as part of a slum clearance programme.
Zig Zag Path. Until 1801 this continuation of Laureston Place was the road to the castle and Deal. It was laid out as gardens in 1886, but a footpath survives. The name is obvious if you have climbed this slope!